Relationships Manager – Legacy and Mid Value Development
1. Title and Reporting Relationships
Position Title: Relationships Manager – Legacy and Mid Value Development
Reports To: Philanthropy Manager
Position Location: Auckland or Wellington. Some travel may be required.
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours, flexible (to be negotiated)
Salary: circa $90k
Date reviewed: June 2021.
2. Purpose of Position
The Relationships Manager – Legacy and Mid Value Development, is responsible for leading and implementing Blind Low Vision’s strategy to nurture and develop relationships with both prospective and confirmed bequestors (research, engage, cultivate and steward) to secure future gifts. This new role will also be responsible for the development and implementation of a mid-value giving programme to provide a pipeline for the Legacy and Major Gift Programmes.
This is a new role due to planned growth in fundraised income and a restructure at Blind Low Vision. The role will be responsible for the development of new relationships and the ongoing stewardship of Blind Low Vision’s existing and prospective bequestors and mid-level donors, to deliver strategic and operational objectives, including income targets. The role will be expected to establish new relationships through both traditional and innovative agreements which meet the needs of all those involved. The role includes both strategic and operational responsibilities.
In support of the Relationships Manager – Major Gifts, this role, where appropriate will also identify and help cultivate relationships with major donor prospects.
Additional responsibilities include assisting with relationship development for the Community and Events team, Sponsorships, and Trusts and Foundations team as needed.
3. Key Responsibilities
- Lead the implementation and ongoing delivery of an effective Legacy Development strategy to engage and nurture both prospective and confirmed bequestors.
- Lead on the development, implementation and ongoing delivery of an effective Mid-Value giving programme to both engage new donors and upgrade existing donors.
- Work with the Philanthropy Manager and wider team to embed the Legacy and Mid-Value strategies across our full donor base, identifying key opportunities for engagement.
- Research and identify new prospective bequestors and donors.
- Research prospects and donors’ area of interests and create bespoke cultivation and engagement plans based on best practice fundraising.
- Build strong relationships with prospects and donors, providing them with timely and relevant information about our cause to help them make informed choices about their giving.
- As appropriate, represent Blind Low Vision externally at events, activities, and through one-to-one engagement with prospects and donors.
- Employ a variety of personal engagement mechanisms and communication tools to ensure that prospects and supporters become, and remain, fully engaged with our cause.
- Ensure all donor communication is recorded appropriately in the database.
- Capture and record information on individuals’ connections/relationships with other relevant individuals and organisations
- Manage the allocated budget to achieve income and expenditure targets.
- Budget monitoring on a day-to-day basis, and to report monthly on actual and forecast income/expenditure variances.
- Produce annual and longer-term strategic and tactical plans and budgets in conjunction with the Philanthropy Manager, and managers of other teams.
4. Health and Safety
Meet all Health and Safety requirements including
- Reporting any accidents, hazards, near misses, incidents appropriately are captured and
- Take all practicable steps to minimise or eliminate hazards in the workplace.
5. Dimensions of the Position
Number of Positions Responsible For
Indirect: Events Coordinator as part of contractor pool
Shared Responsibility: 0
6. Key Relationships
- Philanthropy Manager
- Relationships Manager - Major Gifts
- Relationships Manager – South Island
- General Manager, Fundraising
- Client Services Regional Managers
- Service department staff
- Supporter care staff
- Events Coordinator
- Direct marketing team
- Trust and Foundation staff
- Donors & Supporters
- Community Groups
- Businesses and Funders
7. Person Specification:
Qualifications, Experience, Skills, and Knowledge
- Minimum of 5 years fundraising experience in a Legacy or Major Giving role.
- Proven knowledge of Legacy Giving best practice, with prospects, intenders, and confirmed bequestors.
- Proven experience of having prospected and secured donations of $10,000 to $25,000
- Proven experience of developing successful fundraising propositions and of stewarding prospects using Moves Management processes
- Proven experience of successfully communicating the fundraising need; one to one, in writing and through verbal group presentations.
- Ability to connect with people at all levels and build genuine relationships to ensure that prospects and supporters become, and remain, fully engaged with our cause.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- High-level of oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills.
- Demonstrates expertise in relationship management, including high levels of emotional intelligence and integrity.
- Competent in use of Microsoft Office Suit.
- Ability to be flexible and travel on occasion.
- Experience of Mid-Value giving programmes
- Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM
- Awareness of accessibility of information and the challenges faced by New Zealanders who are blind, deafblind or have low- vision.
8. Blind Low Vision NZ Values
- Person Centred
People are at the heart of everything we do, and we are led by their needs. We design services that meet people's needs now and in the future.
We believe that to make change happen, we need to bring people, ideas, and resources together in new combinations. Partnerships and teamwork are fundamental to our success and we co-design through effective engagement and collaboration.
We acknowledge the world around us is changing and that we need to change by innovating and applying creative solutions to move forward. We are resourceful in response to this change.
We deliver on our promise and hold ourselves responsible. We are honest, candid, transparent and respectful in all aspects of our work, applying good judgement for effective decision-making.