Postition Description: Development Manager
Reports To: Philanthropy Manager
Position Location: PSA House, Wellington. Some travel may be required.
Hours of Work: 32 - 40 hrs flexible
Salary: circa $90k
Date: September 2021
UNICEF is the United Nations Children's Fund. For over 70 years, we've been working to protect the rights of children in over 190 countries and territories around the world. UNICEF New Zealand is one of 33 UNICEF National Committees, which raise funds for UNICEF’s worldwide emergency and development work. We help all children, near or far, no matter their race or religion.
Purpose of Position
- Plan and execute the major donor strategy for existing and new supporters, by way of meeting agreed major gift campaign goals and income targets.
- Prospect, engage and solicit financial support from potential high net worth individuals.
- Provide outstanding stewardship experience and bespoke journeys to some of our most significant supporters.
- Sending regular and engaging personalised communications by mail, email and phone.
- Provide regular reporting including dashboards, impact reporting and pipeline reporting.
- Support the Head of Philanthropy and the Gifts in Wills team in developing and executing the Bequest Strategy. This includes meeting agreed bequest goals.
- Lead the implementation and ongoing delivery of an effective Major Giving strategy to engage and nurture both prospective and confirmed high value donors.
- Work with the Philanthropy Manager and wider team to embed the Major Giving strategy across our full donor base, identifying key opportunities for engagement.
- Effectively manage and grow existing relationships with individuals of high net worth to maximise the long-term value of each relationship.
- Work closely with the Philanthropy Manager and internal teams to identify and develop first-class funding propositions for Major Donor prospects.
- Research and identify new prospective high value donors.
- Research prospects and donors’ area of interests and create bespoke cultivation and engagement plans based on best practice fundraising.
- Build strong relationships with prospects and donors, providing them with timely and relevant information about our cause to help them make informed choices about their giving.
- As appropriate, represent UNICEF externally at events, activities, and through one-to-one engagement with prospects and donors.
- Employ a variety of personal engagement mechanisms and communication tools to ensure that prospects and supporters become and remain, fully engaged with our cause.
- Ensure all donor communication is recorded appropriately in the database.
- Capture and record information on individuals’ connections/relationships with other relevant individuals and organisations.
- Manage the allocated budget to achieve income and expenditure targets.
- Budget monitoring on a day-to-day basis, and to report monthly on actual and forecast income/expenditure variances.
- Produce annual and longer-term strategic and tactical plans and budgets in conjunction with the Philanthropy Manager, and managers of other teams.
Health and Safety
Meet all Health and Safety requirements including
- Reporting any accidents, hazards, near misses, incidents appropriately are captured and
- Take all practicable steps to minimise or eliminate hazards in the workplace
- Minimum of 5 years fundraising experience in a Major Giving or Partnership role or sales/business development experience
- Proven experience of having prospected and secured donations of $25,000 to $1M
- Proven experience of developing successful fundraising propositions and of stewarding prospects using Moves Management processes
- Proven experience of successfully communicating the fundraising need; one to one, in writing and through verbal group presentations
- Ability to connect with people at all levels and build genuine relationships to ensure that prospects and supporters become, and remain, fully engaged with our cause
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- High-level of oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills
- Demonstrates expertise in relationship management, including high levels of emotional intelligence and integrity
- Competent in use of Microsoft Office, Dynamics
- Ability to be flexible and travel on occasion
- Awareness of UNICEF and our work