(Date last updated: 01/03/2021)
Job Title: Fundraising Copywriter – Permanent full-time
Team/Group: Fundraising and Partnerships
Job Reports to: Direct Fundraising Manager
Location: Kalmia Office, Ellerslie
This role will play a key part in supporting the Fundraising and Partnerships group with the provision of supporter-marketing centred copy requirements. However, the significant focus of the role provides exemplar direct marketing
and direct response copy deliverables for the Heart Foundation’s mass marketing programmes. This is an exciting new role within the team and has come about because of bringing external resourcing in-house.
The Fundraising Copywriter will work alongside all Fundraising and Partnerships programme leads, including the Graphic Designer to develop and be responsible for the delivery of all direct marketing and supporter communications for mass participation programmes to ensure that the Heart Foundation continues to grow supporter income, engagement and loyalty.
The Fundraising & Partnerships (F&P) team’s key responsibilities are delivering sustainable net voluntary income by engaging the New Zealand public in fundraising for the Heart Foundation through direct and relationbased programmes. The F&P team also aims to maximise the contribution from key partners to the Heart Foundation’s awareness, reach, engagement, program delivery and equity goals.
Reporting Structure/Direct Reports: No direct reports
1. From point of briefing this role needs to plan, research, interview and write audience tailored content for the Heart Foundation’s supporter marketing communications; including direct marketing fundraising appeals, lottery , event fundraising, development fundraising and key partnerships programmes as well as all donor stewardship communication and donor newsletters.
2. This role will work very closely with Direct Fundraising Programme Leads and an inhouse Graphic Designer to develop new supporter marketing collateral and refresh existing supporter marketing communication.
3. Communicating information effectively through creating high-quality print, digital and experiential copy to the Heart Foundation’s supporter base to create urgency for people to support either through a financial gift or gift in time, leading to increased income and improved retention.
4. Supporting and embedding of supporter marketing messaging and tone of voice in all Supporter facing communications
5. Continually raising the bar on supporter marketing, being creative and writing fresh copy that connects with the desired audience to drive income and supporter engagement/action.
6. To view and refresh in conjunction with Programme leads, all supporter marketing communication journeys.
7. All copy is produced to brief and on time.
8. Proofing and editing of copy at all artwork stages.
9. Seeks and receives feedback from Programme leads and acts on feedback.
10. Other duties as required by the Direct Fundraising Manager.
• Direct Marketing Specialist - Lottery
• Direct Marketing Specialist - Individual and Regular Giving
• Events Fundraising Specialist
• Graphic Designer
• Supporter Care Team Lead
• Key Partnerships Manager
• Development Fundraising team
• Marketing and Communications Team
• Medical Director
• Case Studies – constituents, supporters and stakeholders
Key Capabilities needed to succeed:
Including qualifications, experience and skills
• Relevant degree in English, Communications or Journalism
• Minimum 4-5 years professional supporter marketing copywriting, experience, ideally with some experience within the charity sector
• Exceptional writing and research skills
• Demonstratable experience as a copywriter with a portfolio of work produced for the charity sector
• Experience in Direct Marketing Campaigns end-to-end
• Ability to translate and follow established brand guidelines and key messages for specific audiences
• You are an individual who understand the importance of storytelling and use of images
• Confident in interviewing subject matter experts with the ability to translate technical language into layperson speak
• Highly creative and innovative
• Highly organised with experience working in fast-paced, collaborative, and supportive environment with a high volume of workload, multiple projects, and tight deadlines
• Excellent attention to detail
• Highly computer literate with familiarity with InDesign
• Knowledge of design and print production
• A strong communicator with the ability to develop high quality relationships with internal and external stakeholders
• Experience in direct marketing end to end campaigns is desirable
• Retail copywriting experience would also be desirable
• Agency background and/or experience is advantageous
The Heart Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation and has identified three underpinning values, which it upholds in all its operations.
CONNECTED: INSIDE AND OUT
Our desire to stop New Zealanders dying prematurely from heart disease is a collaborative effort. We work in strong effective teams to get the job done to the highest standard. We look for opportunities to create partnerships with other organisations and in our communities, to come together and really make an impact.
PUMPING: PASSIONATE FOR CHANGE
We are alive with ideas and inspiration to help people to fulfil their lifetimes. We excel at initiating conversations and stimulating change. The fact that we are not done yet gives us energy and drive to enrich the nation’s heart health with vigour. We relish what we do and thrive on making a difference.
REAL: LIVE IT, BREATHE IT
We walk the talk. We always strive to deliver on our promises and do what we say we’re going to do. Our professionalism and dedication shines through in every interaction. We’re a credible and respected voice.
The job description above gives a general overview of the role and level of work to be performed by
the incumbent. It is not a prescriptive list of all responsibilities and skills required. Reasonable
changes to the role may be made if appropriate.